Risky roads and intersections aren't just those that can cost us time, they can potentially cost us our lives.
In a bid to recognise risky roads and intersections which need urgent improvement, the RAA put out a survey in 2019.
The survey was completed by more than 1300 road users, giving motorists, cyclists and pedestrians the opportunity to nominate a road or intersection they believe needs repairs or major upgrades.
Key concerns for citizens were uneven surfaces, crumbling road edges, potholes and a lack of overtaking opportunities.
Poor road maintenance has been highlighted as a pressing safety issue and after collating the data, Horrocks Highway was nominated as the riskiest road in South Australia.
RAA Senior Manager Safety and Infrastructure Charles Mountain said the survey highlighted the need for ongoing maintenance along the notorious stretch.
“There were 107 casualty crashes resulting in six deaths and 156 injuries along Horrocks Highway between 2014 and 2018,” Mr Mountain said.
With regards to the riskiest intersection, the notorious Blackwood roundabout was again recognised for its poor layout, confusing signage, line marking and inappropriate speed limit by the majority of survey respondents.
“Despite the [$3.5 million upgrade] that’s been completed, it’s clear respondents still feel concerned about the operation of the roundabout.”
“There have been 1,007 casualty crashes resulting in 31 deaths and 1,353 injuries along the 10 riskiest roads between 2014 and 2018, which highlights that upgrades and repairs are needed to reduce the overall level of risk to all road users,” Mr Mountain said.
SA’s Top 10 Riskiest Roads
1. Horrocks Highway
2. Main South Rd (Aldinga to Sellicks Beach)
3. Main North Rd (Gepps Cross to Salisbury Heights)
4. South Eastern Fwy (Mt Barker to Glen Osmond)
5. Owen Rd
6. Victor Harbor Rd
7. Upper Yorke Rd (Maitland to Arthurton)
8. Caddy Rd, Loveday
9. Riddoch Hwy
10. Salisbury Hwy (Port Wakefield Rd to South Rd)
SA’s Top 10 Riskiest Intersections
1. Blackwood roundabout
2. Main South Rd, Tatachilla Rd, Maslin Beach Rd
3. Main North Rd, Port Wakefield Rd, Grand Junction Rd
4. South Eastern Fwy, Portrush Rd, Cross Rd, Glen Osmond Rd
5. Victor Harbor Rd, Seaview Rd, Budgens Rd
6. Morphett Rd, Anzac Highway
7. Port Wakefield Rd, Cooper Coast Hwy, Augusta Hwy
8. Main North Rd, Fitzroy Tce, Robe Tce
9. Renmark Ave (Sturt Hwy), Twentyfirst St
10. Cross Rd, Waite Rd
So, what do you think? Is there a risky road or intersection near you? Or, more importantly, has a risky road or intersection been missed in this list?